30/05/2016

China Archives - Trekking The Great Wall - Mutianyu: Part VI

Wednesday was the last day of our trekking. 

We had an early wake up at 6:30am to reach the last part of the wall. It took us about 50 minutes to reach the wall and when we arrived it was still relatively quiet and uncrowded. To reach the wall itself we first had to walk up a hill which was lined with market sellers. We then had to walk up 700 steps to reach the start of our walk. 


My energy had returned and I was so ready to go! 



Trekking The Great Wall of China 

The walk was about 10km in total and our final destination was the Stairway to Heaven which was another 700 steep stairs to the top. Walking up was tough but I had the determination to finish.



Trekking The Great Wall of China


The last 10-15 steps were the most difficult and the steepest. Hearing the other six who had reached the top chanting my name and clapping just brought so much happiness. I can’t really describe the sense of achievement that I felt to complete the trek – no shortcuts. I was and am honestly so proud of myself. If I had told anyone a few years back that I was going to trek the Great Wall of China they would probably have laughed at me. But look at me now!



Trekking The Great Wall of China Trekking The Great Wall of China Trekking The Great Wall of China Trekking The Great Wall of China


Once everyone had reached the top it was time to go back down again. There was the choice to use the cable car or walk back down. At first I was thinking I would just take the cable car because it would be a different experience, but after speaking to Kim I was persuaded to walk back down. I don’t think that I would have felt quite the same about finishing if it wasn’t for her. It was Kim, Mandy, Richard and I who walked basically together for the rest of the way. When we reached the bottom Kim gave me a big hug and that’s when I knew that I had really completed the journey.
Trekking The Great Wall of China Trekking The Great Wall of China Trekking The Great Wall of China
For lunch we had Subway! I was happy for the change from having Chinese every day. Afterwards we were taken to a Jade Factory to part ways with our money. I can’t remember much of the information that was given except that we were told that 80% of jade comes from China, which I had no idea about. The statues and ornaments were beautiful and ornate.
In the evening we were driven to our next hotel which was The Holiday Inn Express in the city of Beijing. I can’t express how nice it was to have a proper shower with power! Not to mention the lovely comfy bed.

This was the end of an unforgettable trek, but not the end of the trip!
Trekking The Great Wall of China
Trekking The Great Wall of China
We did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment